You are not logged in.

Saturday, August 17th 2013, 6:27am

It took me a while to find but i eventually found a download containing every Sharpe book in audio format and i started listening to it anytime i was travelling on my kindle. I've been enjoying them so much that i listen to them in my spare time as well. I'm currently on book 4, on his return from india. I'm glad that i've started on this series because i love a good series, especially the kind that follows one individual in particular. This is a massive series as well and i've still got a lot of books to go through and i'm looking forward to it. Would recommend to anyone who has not read them yet.

AggonyRom

Intermediate

Saturday, September 14th 2013, 9:46pm

Quoted

The one thing that bugs me is how he incorporates so many religious things into his books. Which is understandable being as the church was a prominant part of life... but things like going after the holy grail ect... i would love his books if he could just stay away from silly things like that.

I was thinking about the holy grail stuff in the Archer series and I tend to agree that it can come across as a bit silly. Then I remembered one of the early crusade battles where one of the cities was under siege and about to fall. Some priest "found" a bit of the true cross or somesuch buried in the ground and rallied the troops into such a frenzy that they were able to sally out and annihilate the Saracen army with primarily starving peasant troops! The catholic church at that time really kept the people in the dark and pushed all sorts of superstition on the people. They even preached primarily in latin so the people couldn't understand what they were saying if I remember correctly. So even if there is nothing magical about an artifact, if you can use it to keep your troops morale from breaking (think 'stand and fight'), then maybe there is a benefit or power after all.

Ride with Glory! Ride with Friendship! Ride with Honour!
Ride with the Brotherhood! The Brotherhood of Aggony

Saturday, September 14th 2013, 10:17pm

Whose to say it was the bit of cross that rallied the troops together. The church is notorious for taking credit for anything and everything. Being that most books were written by the church at that time it's pretty easy for them to take credit for a lot of it as well seeing as the only accounts come from the church.

I haven't researched this specific topic but i'm just assuming the church took credit for it and it probably did not play as big of a role as depicted.

AggonyRom

Intermediate

Friday, September 20th 2013, 1:55am

The historical accounts of the Crusades weren't just written by some biased guy at a monastery. There are really good accounts written by all types of people from that time in history including knights and ordinary soldiers writing home, not to mention the many writers from the Saracen side of the conflict.

Ride with Glory! Ride with Friendship! Ride with Honour!
Ride with the Brotherhood! The Brotherhood of Aggony

Social bookmarks

Rate this thread