You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Brotherhood of Aggony. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, May 11th 2012, 4:46am

I know you are messed up already, Sparton, just don't want any parent come running accusing we are "corrupting the mind of youths" :)

(Socrates was condemned by Athenians, a democracy, to die by poison, because he "corrupted the mind of youths")
Has weapon of mass distraction

AggonySparton

Sarcasm Administrator

Friday, May 11th 2012, 11:00pm

Wait.....so I can tell my parents Aggony were the ones who corrupted me and they might possibly have you put to death? Interesting possibility... :P
“You ask, what is our policy? I say it is to wage war with all the strength God has given us. That is our policy. You ask, what is our aim? It is victory. Victory in spite of all terrors for without victory there is no survival."

Saturday, May 12th 2012, 2:49am

Oh yes, if your parents are a democracy, I wouldn't mind die as Socrates. There is a thin line between a democracy and a lynch mob :)

AggonySparton

Sarcasm Administrator

Saturday, May 12th 2012, 5:46am

Hmn. A thin line that is difficult to see I think. Possibly a manipulable line I think. Further investigation is necessary post mortem.
“You ask, what is our policy? I say it is to wage war with all the strength God has given us. That is our policy. You ask, what is our aim? It is victory. Victory in spite of all terrors for without victory there is no survival."

Saturday, May 12th 2012, 6:40am

oi, keep it about books in here :P

Reborn-Augustus

Devourer of Beer!

• "Reborn-Augustus" started this thread

Saturday, May 12th 2012, 9:36am

King shhhh... this is a library!
I Obey the Rose.

"History is the best medicine for a sick mind; for in history you have a record of the infinite variety of human experiences plainly set out for all to see;... and in all you find yourself an example and warning..." -Livy

AggonyAvenger

Amicitia, Persevero, Honor

Tuesday, May 15th 2012, 3:03am

I enjoy reading many books here are some that I definitally would read again :) and have done so recently

All of G.A. Henty's books, historical fiction, written in the 1800s = Amazing!!
The Lord of the Rings
Enders Game
The Hunger Games
Romans
Matthew
How to Win Friends and Influence People

and so many more!
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
~ Sir Winston Churchill

Tuesday, May 15th 2012, 10:10am

may i recommend will and ariel durants- history of civilization-...12 volume series i believe. im on the last one "the age of napoleon" good stuff if ur a history buff.

AggonyRom

Intermediate

Tuesday, May 15th 2012, 5:19pm

I agree with you Avenger on the Hunger games. Surprisingly well written for it's genre. The Lord of the Rings I've read at least 4 times over the years. Romans and Matthew at least that many but I'm never heard of Henty, is the writing style hard to get through being as it's from the 1800's?

Ride with Glory! Ride with Friendship! Ride with Honour!
Ride with the Brotherhood! The Brotherhood of Aggony

AggonyAvenger

Amicitia, Persevero, Honor

Thursday, May 17th 2012, 1:18pm

Yeah, Henty is a whole style in and of itself. He actually dictated most of the books to a secretary so it makes for an interesting read. Lots of good history though from all time periods in which he incorporates a story. Some of my favorite of his are: In Freedom's Cause(William Wallace and Robert the Bruce), Under Drake's Flag(With Drake), In the Reign of Terror(French Revolution), The Dragon and the Raven(Dainsh times), Through Russian Snows(Napoleon's invasion of Russia), The Cat of Bubastes (Egypt), Beric the Breton (Boedicia's revolution against Rome)..... and more.

Anyway, I have enjoyed many of those books over the years and still do!
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
~ Sir Winston Churchill

Thursday, May 17th 2012, 2:30pm

I would recommend In Her Name Series -- Michael R. Hicks over Ender's Game.

The Hunger Game is good.

AggonyRom

Intermediate

Friday, May 18th 2012, 12:03am

Quoted

The Hunger Game is good.

I read the sequel "Catching Fire" first and really liked it, so I picked up the hunger games and was even more impressed. It's like a really well put together movie with great acting and great cinematics. Yes, I saw the movie and they didn't do too bad a job with it at all. Considering the amount of material they had to compress into the 2 hour movie. Hollywood often times will botch book adaptions. The third book in the series was just a bit too moody for me and I didn't enjoy it that much.

Here are a few more books I've enjoyed for those looking for something good to read in the sword and sorcery genre.

"The name of the Wind" - Patrick Rothfuss
"The Crystal Cave" - The Merlin series - Mary Stewart
"The Winter King" - Bernard Cornwell - a gritty more realistic take on Arthur. I took my old avatar pic from the cover :)

Ride with Glory! Ride with Friendship! Ride with Honour!
Ride with the Brotherhood! The Brotherhood of Aggony

Monday, May 21st 2012, 12:40am

Currently reading:
Fiction: middle of third book of series Song of Fire and Ice[/b] (better known as Game of Throne by the first book of the series) George RR Martin.
Non-Fiction: The Black Swan-The Impact of the Highly Improbable (second edition) -- Nassim Nicholas Taleb

The second book has nothing to do with the movie "Black Swan".

In light of recent events, I would recommend the following to the aspiring spies:

[i]The Constant Gardener
-- John le Carre'
The Taylor of Panama -- John le Carre'
Our Kind of Traitor -- John le Carre'

John le Carre' writes well constructed spy novel, and laugh at how the spies do their jobs.

Thursday, June 21st 2012, 7:52pm

Finished book 4 of "Song of Fire and Ice Series". It is getting tedious, and the review of Book 5 goes along the same line: it seems the author is more concerned of filling up pages rather than advancing the plots. So am a bit tired of the Series for now. I am waiting for the price to drop, 'cause it doesn't worth the price it is now.

Reborn-Augustus

Devourer of Beer!

Thursday, June 21st 2012, 7:58pm

i just finished The Laws of Nine by Terry Goodkind.

Thats sad i had the same feelings with The Sword of Truth series written by Terry Goodkind as by book 6 it seemed he was just filling pages and i stopped reading it. But I did like the book named above very quick read and its based of off the sword of truth series but in the modern world Earth. maybe more of a throwback though.
I Obey the Rose.

"History is the best medicine for a sick mind; for in history you have a record of the infinite variety of human experiences plainly set out for all to see;... and in all you find yourself an example and warning..." -Livy

Reborn-Augustus

Devourer of Beer!

Wednesday, August 1st 2012, 11:00pm

bump
for visuals and so we dont forget or miss a good book :)
I Obey the Rose.

AggonySp00n

Professional

Friday, August 24th 2012, 6:18pm

I re- read James Clavells Shogun on holiday in 4 days, tbh it had been 20 years since i'd read it and its still incredible, one of those rare books that no parts of are dull and you just cant put it down.

Truly awesome tale set in Feudal Japan its got everything, action, intrigue, love, drama and is written so cleverly that you find yourself immersed in the Japanese samurai culture of bushido.

The wife read the hunger games trilogy which she loved
One enemy is too many, a hundred friends too few.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "AggonySp00n" (Aug 24th 2012, 6:26pm)

Sunday, August 26th 2012, 7:46am

Finished the Henry V plays by Shakespeare. Took me a couple of months between procrastination of reading or not :D But awesome stuff.

Chaos

Beginner

Thursday, September 20th 2012, 11:29pm

i just finished The Laws of Nine by Terry Goodkind.

Thats sad i had the same feelings with The Sword of Truth series written by Terry Goodkind as by book 6 it seemed he was just filling pages and i stopped reading it. But I did like the book named above very quick read and its based of off the sword of truth series but in the modern world Earth. maybe more of a throwback though.
I absolutely loved book 6, frankly i loved pretty much every book in the series except 5 and 7. 6 was my favorite.

As to the game of thrones or song of ice and fire, i loved the first three books he killed my second favorite character then wrote a novel about the south. I couldn't finish it, tried book 5 and it sucked.

Now as to awesome reads: Steven Erickson, a fellow Canadian, and an absolutely amazing author. He wrote Mazalan books of the fallen.

Robin Hob and the farrseer trilogy, read the third book after the first and loved it, i am ocd about reading books in order. Her soldiers son trilogy was also fascinating for me, beautifully done.

John Grisham- some fantastic reads, not all but some, love to sit sown in the morning and look up at noon feeling satisfied and ready to start my day as i finish one of his novels.

Finally, L.E. Modessit the guy puts out books like crazy but i cant get enough, if u are looking for smart fantasy he is with out a doubt your man, love his books, just finished book 2 of the imagers portfolio.
I ______ your mom.

Friday, September 21st 2012, 4:47am

In middle of Terry Goodkind's "Law of Nines". It kinda sucks.

Tinky-Yuki

Intermediate

Occupation: Cinema Projectionist (technician -- but don't ask me anything technical)

Friday, September 21st 2012, 10:25am

I've just finished Anthony Beevor's D-Day.

A breezy run through the campaign, though after books such as Hasting's "Overlord", I found too 'lite' on information. His aim appears to be one of creating the atmosphere of the event while not risking factual detail, making it a fine read no doubt for those less interested than I on unit histories or weapons and tactics, or even beans and bullets. The chapter on the French political (and military) maneuvering to get to Paris and the various passages on the frequently heart-rending experiences of the civilians provide some moments of pause in an otherwise frenetic over view of a key campaign.

Reborn-Augustus

Devourer of Beer!

Friday, September 21st 2012, 4:13pm

Quoted

In middle of Terry Goodkind's "Law of Nines". It kinda sucks.

ye its nothing special just a quick read. it makes sense if you have read the sword of truth. I think thats the only way you can somewhat appreciate it.
I Obey the Rose.

Saturday, September 22nd 2012, 12:30am

For some reason my favorite books are always the most simple ones, usually written for a much younger audience and an easier read. I like R.A Salvatore's books following the hero Drizz't Doerdon. Atleast read the first book called "homeland" It's really unique in it's settings and makes for an interesting fantasy. There are tons of other books following the events that happen later in the hero's life but the first book will give you a good idea of whether or not you want to keep reading them or not. I read all the books in the Song of Ice and Fire series. I thought it would be interesting at first, and it was interesting enough to keep me reading the books. In the end though i found it very boring. There are always hints of battles or conflicts to come but the actual battles and conflicts are far and in between. Then there is the fact that he kills everyone i liked in the book and only the stupidest and most boring characters seem to survive. By the end i found myself hating the author with a passion. But atleast he made me care enough about some of the characters to hate him when he killed them off. That's a good thing right? I guess... In the end i think i wish they would have never made the T.V. series. Then i never would have discovered the books and wasted my time reading them. I think that's what i think at least. I must have enjoyed it enough to keep reading them all though.

Of course there is the Hobbit and LoTR books, which should be a requirement for everyone to read. There is also the Harry Potter books which i am not ashamed to say i enjoyed a lot and probably read 4 times over. You heard me correctly, and yes i am 24 years old, and no i'm not a virgin. There are also a lot of books by Bernard Cornwell that i enjoy. Not his Sharpe series though. I like his books where the setting is further back in time before the prevalence of gun powder.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Pariya" (Sep 22nd 2012, 12:38am)

Reborn-Augustus

Devourer of Beer!

Saturday, September 22nd 2012, 6:27am

I agree in order for you to hate an author you must love them first :)

Just as I loved sword of truth by terry goodkind then hated him with his 6th book. But now I am wondering why I hated the 6th book so much if it was Chaos's favorite? I might reread the series to re appreciate it.

If I do reread it will be after im done rereading the wheel of time (3rd time) and finished with the final book thats being released first thing 2013! Also got to mention sanderson does a good job finishing jordans work. :)
I Obey the Rose.

AggonyDuck

Le Grand Quack

Saturday, September 22nd 2012, 10:54am

I must second Chaos' recommendation of Steven Erikson's series 'Book of Malazan the Fallen'. Pretty much the best fantasy series I've read. They're hugely entertaining and Erikson is a master of suspense. Plus he has a way of creating both interesting and believable cultures and characters. For all the praise that 'A Song of Fire and Ice' has got, I do think that 'Book of Malazan the Fallen' is considerably more ambitious and complex than it. The writing is better, but the cost seems to be accessibility as Martin's series is far more accesible.

Social bookmarks

Rate this thread