You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Brotherhood of Aggony. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Reborn-Augustus

Devourer of Beer!

• "Reborn-Augustus" started this thread

Monday, April 23rd 2012, 9:12am

The Book Library

Well ladies and gentleman we have a music thread and a WTF picture thread plus a movie thread(that died on its first week lol)

Anyways I think its time that everyone reads something other than those damn forums that everyone seems to post at!

I have many recommendations for books as instead of grinding the mm's in TW I read instead :)

But the 1st recommendation as im reading it now is:

Otherland by Tad Williams. sci fi to the greatest. PLunge into a VR world where you leave behind your RL body and experience the horrors of the many VR world simulations. BE WARNED! once plugged into the Otherland Network you experience virtual reality but can die in RL doing so!! enjoy mates..

Read on mates! Its good for you!!! :) :) :) :) :)
I Obey the Rose.

"History is the best medicine for a sick mind; for in history you have a record of the infinite variety of human experiences plainly set out for all to see;... and in all you find yourself an example and warning..." -Livy

Reborn-Augustus

Devourer of Beer!

Monday, April 23rd 2012, 9:14am

Also please leave suggestions and what book your reading this week! so others may pick it up :)
I Obey the Rose.

"History is the best medicine for a sick mind; for in history you have a record of the infinite variety of human experiences plainly set out for all to see;... and in all you find yourself an example and warning..." -Livy

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Reborn-Augustus" (Apr 23rd 2012, 9:29am)

AggonySp00n

Professional

Monday, April 23rd 2012, 11:20am

I read Games Of Thrones the first book of Fire and Ice by George R R Martin a few weeks back, was very good a sort of political Lord Of The Rings, also a great series from HBO currently running season 2 for this.

If you like Fantasy its of the highest level, the shows awesome too and very close to the book.
One enemy is too many, a hundred friends too few.

Monday, April 23rd 2012, 5:33pm

King Leopold's Ghost. About the homocide in Kongo in the late 19nth early 20th century. Insane.

DreadBane

Intermediate

Tuesday, April 24th 2012, 2:45am

Currently re-reading "Alexander" by the American Civil War Colonel Theodore Ayrault Dodge. Its a great account of his campaigns and battles - dodge also published several other works on other generals that are all very interesting to read and extremely well researched.

I am also reading a series of books on the American Civil War by the American Journalist and author Shelby Foote. Well worth the read, although you need to be fairly dedicated to get through the many thousands of pages. :)

AggonyJun

Intermediate

Tuesday, April 24th 2012, 5:06am

lol i am dyslexic and cant read more then a few pages at the time before my head hurts. ;( suffice to say when i did law degree i had a lot of headaches hehehe :P
I don't have a attitude problem, I have a personality you can't handle!!!

I'd like to
Offer something
To help you ....
But in the Zen School
We have "no thing"....
~~ Zen Master Ikkyu

Tuesday, April 24th 2012, 7:57am

I barely read :p
Currently trying to finish "The Hobbit" before the movie comes out! *crossing fingers*
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people"

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 5:01am

Currently reading: Fiction: "Game of Throne" -- George R.R. Martin (winks to Spoon, it's good :))
Non-fiction: "Home by Design" -- Sarah Susanka
Has weapon of mass distraction

AggonySparton

Sarcasm Administrator

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 5:39am

Ok. My all time favorite books are as follow.

Series:
-Game of Thrones by Gerorge R.R. Martin
-Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling
-Emperor Series by Conn Igulden
-Civil War Trilogy by Jeff Shaara (Gods and Generals, Killer Angles, and the Last Full Measure)
-Genghis Khan Series by Conn Igulden

Books:
-Shogun by James Clavell
-A Time to Kill by John Grisham

Top 3 Authors:
1.) Jeff Shaara
2.) Conn Igulden
3.) George R.R. Martin

Currently Reading: To Be Decided (Recommendations Please)
“You ask, what is our policy? I say it is to wage war with all the strength God has given us. That is our policy. You ask, what is our aim? It is victory. Victory in spite of all terrors for without victory there is no survival."

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 5:34pm

Shogun by James Clavell such a good book ^_^

Friday, April 27th 2012, 1:16am

Most favorite books/series are too numerous to list here :D I am just listing what am reading now.

Fiction: same as above, almost finish book 1 of 4.

Non-Fiction: "The Morality of Capitalism" -- Edited by Tom Palmer.

RedWarrior

Professional

Friday, April 27th 2012, 3:39am

I usually wont read books other than for classes ofc 8o but all the good suggestions in here might change my mind :D
Words are wind. Loyalty is forever.

AggonyRom

Intermediate

Friday, April 27th 2012, 10:15pm

Like a chain smoker I keep at least one book going at all times. Here is a trilogy that I enjoyed.

Joe Acercrombie's "First Law Series" - Reminds me of Bernard Cornwell's style of descriptive battle scenes with gritting hand to hand fighting and interesting characters who definitley aren't the generic two dimensional sword and sorcery types.

Ride with Glory! Ride with Friendship! Ride with Honour!
Ride with the Brotherhood! The Brotherhood of Aggony

Saturday, April 28th 2012, 11:36pm

Simon Scarrows The Eagle series. Romans!! <3 :D Also Conn Igguldens about Ghengis Khan is great too! The art of War by Tsun tsu is also a classic, as is Miyamoto Musashis The Book Of Five Rings :) Game of thrones is nice but only read the first book so far :P
The Tale of the Clan Otori By Lian Hearn is also very good.

AggonySp00n

Professional

Sunday, April 29th 2012, 8:49am

Shogun by James Clavell such a good book ^_^
This is a great book indeed, my favourites when I was into horror were,

James Herberts Rats trilogy,

The Rats, Lair and Domain.

But my favourite is Clive Barkers Weaveworld awesome fantasy horror.

Chaos

Beginner

Tuesday, May 8th 2012, 12:55pm

Well since you guys are missing amazing authors i will butt in:

Brandon Sanderson love every book he has published(adult)

Wheel of Time Robert Jordan waiting for # 14 read this series 6 times easy cant get enough

Terry Goodkind Sword of truth loved the first 12 13 was ok (that being laws of 9) and the newest one is too mystery for me.

Brent Weeks sorta new has very nice assassin trilogy and light bringer one waiting for book two it is gonna be amazing.

R.A Salvator- loved the guy so much i bought his first three books

Isac asimove-foundation little corny but is a great read

Larry niven- hard si fi amazing stuff cant get enough

Frank Herbert dune smart man interesting concept and beautify written.

JIm butcher- codex of alera and the ahh fuck what are they called it has been so long oh got it the Dresden files(best urban fantasy ever written)

and
Franz Kafka because only he would turn the main guy of his story into a bloody cockroach.
I ______ your mom.

Reborn-Augustus

Devourer of Beer!

Tuesday, May 8th 2012, 5:38pm

i agree brandon sanderson a great author I too have read all his works. my favorite is Mistborn Trilogy.

The wheel of time is the best fantasy series ever written (where you thing i get Reborn from?) The Dragon Reborn, I too cant wait for the final book. I miss Robert jordan since 2007 but Sanderson does a great job with his characters. Was a bit worried if he can capture Matt's character right and he did :)

I liked the sword of truth up till book 6 then it just went blehhh blahhh blahhh for me..........
I Obey the Rose.

Psychic

Tuesday, May 8th 2012, 6:09pm

i don't read, except game magazines, i hate reading, makes me nervous and way to tired
Your Time Has Come!!

Wednesday, May 9th 2012, 4:03am

Currently reading:
Fiction: Book 2 of Game of Thrones -- George RR Martin
Non-fiction: Tao Te Jing -- Laotzu, bilingual (Chinese Vietnamese) edition translated by Nghiem Toan (re-reading it and still found new things, mainly in light of new theory that the book of Te should be read before the book of Tao).

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "AggonyJade" (May 9th 2012, 4:10am)

Reborn-Augustus

Devourer of Beer!

Wednesday, May 9th 2012, 6:35am

I keep hearing good things about The game of Thrones. after I read the 4th book of The Otherland series I may pick it up. So by next week I will give my opinion of it. :)
I Obey the Rose.

Wednesday, May 9th 2012, 9:15am

Yep let me know how it is as i have just finished reading World War Z and dont have a book to read atm :)

Wednesday, May 9th 2012, 2:40pm

Game of Thrones:Genre: fantasy (there are dragons, a bit of magic, a bit of rangers, and of course there are undeads, but not heavy into it, more like providing the backdrop), medieval (knights, princes, kings, armies) so this is Tolkienesque; multi-angle story telling, with plots and subplots and many characters to follow and heroes and villains aren't quite clear (unlike more clear boundary of Tolkien), so this is very Byzantine in intrigues, murders mystery. It is easier read than Tolkien. So, read it :) Maybe they will make a game title out of it soon :D (the cycle is 4 books, each is a brick).

AggonySp00n

Professional

Wednesday, May 9th 2012, 3:29pm

Game of Thrones:Genre: fantasy (there are dragons, a bit of magic, a bit of rangers, and of course there are undeads, but not heavy into it, more like providing the backdrop), medieval (knights, princes, kings, armies) so this is Tolkienesque; multi-angle story telling, with plots and subplots and many characters to follow and heroes and villains aren't quite clear (unlike more clear boundary of Tolkien), so this is very Byzantine in intrigues, murders mystery. It is easier read than Tolkien. So, read it :) Maybe they will make a game title out of it soon :D (the cycle is 4 books, each is a brick).
Its definately worth reading Reborn :), im pretty much at the same part as Jade, there is magic and undead and Dragons but they are very much in the background currently behind the characters, howvere they come out more as it goes on apparently, its very deep but very easy to read.

Also the show rocks. Halfway through season 2 Book 2 atm on HBO.

Wednesday, May 9th 2012, 11:16pm

Oh I forgot to say: this isn't a book recommended for pre-teen and teens. The jungen may find it is nothing but it does messs up your mind.

AggonySparton

Sarcasm Administrator

Wednesday, May 9th 2012, 11:49pm

I'm 15 and I read all the GoT books but I can see why you might think that :P
“You ask, what is our policy? I say it is to wage war with all the strength God has given us. That is our policy. You ask, what is our aim? It is victory. Victory in spite of all terrors for without victory there is no survival."

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests

Social bookmarks

Rate this thread